“Real Estate Agent” is a generic term that can be used by anyone with a license to sell real estate; however, not everyone who sells real estate can call himself or herself a REALTOR®. REALTORS® are real estate professionals who are members of the National, state, and local boards of REALTORS®, adhering to a strict code of ethics. REALTORS® encourage high professional standards through required educational programs, professional certifications, and principles of real estate sales practices. The single, most outstanding characteristic that sets REALTORS® apart from other real estate practitioners is the willingness to accept and abide by the Code of Ethics of the National board of REALTORS®. The Code of Ethics, which was first adopted on July 29, 1913, is a living document, responsive to content changes in the law and industry. The Code has been revised several times through the years to reflect current developments in professional real estate practice. The term REALTOR® has come to represent competency, fairness and high integrity. These qualities stem from voluntary adherence to an ideal of moral conduct in real estate business practices. A REALTOR® takes an oath following acceptance into the local, state, and national boards. The oath was established by the National Association of REALTORS®to better enforce the Code of Ethics and to direct special attention to REALTORS® who pledge to protect the individual right of real estate ownership; to be honorable and honest in all dealings; to better represent clients by building knowledge and competence; to act fairly towards all in the spirit of the Golden Rule; and to serve the community. A REALTOR® can provide access to Multiple Listing Service (MLS) information. Using, this, members are able to cooperate with each other in the sale and purchase of homes, land, and commercial and income properties. This regulated sharing of information enables participating REALTOR® members to more effectively assist customers and clients to buy and sell property.
REALTORS® are specially trained, with education that can include:
- National and state designation programs (including GRI, CRS, CRB, CCIM, RAM)
- broker test review training
- license renewal courses
- computer software training
- environmental education seminars, and more
A REALTOR® will:
- Help you find the perfect match between what you can afford and the home that best suits your needs.
- Access all the properties for sale in your desired area through the Multiple Listing Service.
- Negotiate for you: Once you’ve found the home you want to buy, your REALTOR® will write up your offer and present it to the seller.
- Get the right price: REALTORS® know the market inside and out, getting you the best price possible, whether you are buying or selling.
- Protect your rights: Real estate laws have become increasingly complicated and your REALTOR® is specially trained to assist you.
- Keep your personal style in mind when selecting properties to show you.
- Allow you to make your own decision: A professional works for YOU and respects your opinions.